of Hispanic State Employment
Since 1987 IAHSE has been instrumental in addressing issues affecting Latinos in state employment and community services. As an advocate, it is IAHSE’s intent to remain a viable and effective force impacting the employment and educational policies which may infringe on the aspirations of our constituency.
More importantly, IAHSE was given the responsibility of formulating recommendations designed to enhance and refocus state Hispanic employment plans, and to remove barriers and level the playing field to encourage greater opportunities for Hispanic applicants and employees throughout the State of Illinois.
Because IAHSE is led by a volunteer Board of Directors and is the FIRST Hispanic state employees association advocating for Hispanic state employees’ rights, we would like to encourage all Hispanic state employees to become members of this organization and celebrate the diversity of the Latino culture, and to realize that there is strength in numbers when it comes to advocacy.
IAHSE’s mission as a nonprofit, volunteer-driven organization is to advocate for the employment, educational and professional development of the Latino state employees and to ensure quality services to our Latino communities in Illinois.
IAHSE’s Timeline of Events & Advocacy Efforts
State of Illinois
Legislation, Executive Orders and Court Orders Affecting Latino Community
• 1976 Perdomo Consent Decree (Public Aid to IDHS) – Established the Latino Relations Office
• 1977 Burgos Consent Decree (DCFS) – Established Latino Services Office/Burgos Coordinator
• 1977 STATE EMPLOYEES BILINGUAL PAY (5%)
• 1989 Quinones Consent Decree (Public Aid to IDHS) – Migrant/Food Stamps
• 1989 Zarate Consent Decree (IDES) – Migrant Services
• 2003 Undocumented Students with In-State Tuition (House Bill)
• 2005 Illinois Welcoming Centers (Executive Order) (IDHS)
• 2005 New American Immigrant Policy Council (Executive Order) (IDHS)
• 2006 Hispanic Employment Plan (State Agencies) (CMS) (Report Due 2/1)
• 2006 Bilingual Survey of State Agencies (CMS) (Personnel Code 20 ILCS 415/9(6)) (Report Due 12/31)
• 2008 State Services Assurance Act for 2008 (5 ILCS 382/) (Report Due 4/1)
• 2009 Hispanic Employment Plan (Universities and Community Colleges) (Constitutional Offices) (ISBE ICCB)
• 2010 Illinois Latino Family Commission (House Bill)
• 2011 Undocumented Students with In-Private Funded Scholarships (Senate Bill) (Illinois Dream Act)
• 2013 Governor’s Office of New Americans (House Bill)
• 2013 CMS Hispanic Employment Plan Advisory Council (House Bill)
• 2014 Temporary Visitor Driver’s License for Undocumented Individuals (House Bill)
• 2015 Governor’s Office of New Americans Trust Initiative (Executive Order)
• 2015 Governor’s Office of New Americans Welcoming Initiative (Executive Order)
STAY SAFE & HEALTHY